Terms of Reference
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIESplus
The key responsibilities of the Committee are to:
- review the Annual Report, half year report and any other formal announcements relating to the Group’s financial performance, giving due consideration to significant accounting issues and judgements contained therein, as well as compliance with accounting standards and other legal and regulatory requirements;
- review the Annual Report and financial statements to advise the Board on whether they give a fair, balanced and understandable explanation of the Company’s business and performance over the relevant period;
- review the Group’s financial systems and financial reporting procedures;
- review the Group’s internal controls and risk management systems and advise the Board whether they are adequate, by considering reports on their effectiveness from the Chief Financial Officer and Chief Executive Officer, together with reports from the external auditor;
- review external auditor independence and objectivity, audit and non-audit fees and make recommendations regarding audit tender and the appointment and remuneration of the auditor, together with the terms of their engagement;
- review the annual audit plan and monitor the effectiveness of the external audit process;
- review the Group’s procedures to ensure compliance with the provisions of the Bribery Act 2010 and the Group’s whistleblowing policy; and
- monitor and review the effectiveness of the internal audit function (see Internal Audit section on page 50 of the 2016 Annual Report).
- Review the internal audit plan, all internal audit reports, and review and monitor management’s responses to the findings and recommendations of the internal audit function.